• Facebook
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • Get new posts sent to your inbox!
      Enter your email address below:

  • Wednesday, September 17, 2014

    Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge

    Something I've overheard a lot from tourists in Northern Ireland is, "Did you cross over the rope bridge?"
    So I had to do it.

    For over 350 years, fisherman have strung a rope bridge 100 feet above the sea to give them access to the best places to catch migrating salmon. It was less old and rickety than I hoped.
    It's been a while since I took a picture of myself, so I asked a girl visiting from China if she could do it for me. She walked around and took it from several different angles. I always appreciate photographer OCD. It makes me feel better about myself.

    I've crossed a few rope bridges on trails, but this is the only one I paid $9 to cross. Given that everywhere on Northern Ireland's northern coast is beautiful, my advice is to skip this expense if you're ever in Northern Ireland.

    But I have no regrets. The Causeway Coast Way went back to the road for a 6 km walk to Ballycastle, where the drivers ignore warnings like these.