• Facebook
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • Get new posts sent to your inbox!
      Enter your email address below:

  • Thursday, October 20, 2011

    Jefferson Rock

    Yesterday morning, my alarm went off before sunrise. I had to make sure I was up and out before I was spotted. I didn't want to get a ticket, or whatever the penalty is for sleeping under a historic landmark.

    In 1783, from the rock now known as Jefferson Rock, Thomas Jefferson said, "This scene is worth a voyage across the Atlantic." While curled under the rock like a fox in a den, I envisioned him climbing onto the rock  and standing tall and proud looking out over the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers colliding into one massive river. Am I the model American citizen he envisioned, living under a rock that bears his name? I can't help but notice how much more he accomplished than me.

    Now, don't get me wrong, I'm perfectly happy with the way I'm living my life. I love the fact that I slept here to stay out of the rain. It's my own personal Declaration of Independence.