• Facebook
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • Get new posts sent to your inbox!
      Enter your email address below:

  • Thursday, October 13, 2011

    Cows

    It's a rainy day in Pennsylvania. The trail has been flat, but wet and muddy. I've fallen twice in the last couple of days, but I promise they are more comical than dangerous. The girls would have called them Family Guy falls, since they happen so fast. One moment I'm walking and one frame of animation later I'm on the ground.

    And speaking of injury, after my afternoon off at the Doyle and a short twelve mile day yesterday (due to camping restrictions in the Cumberland Valley), my ankle is feeling much better. I'm not as worried about it now.

    The trail took me out of the autumn-hued trees a lot today and into farm fields, along the road into Boiling Springs, Pennsylvania, and into pastures with dozens of cows loitering around the trail. As soon as I was within view, this cow stared at me dumbly without ever averting her eyes. To be honest, I was a little intimidated. I tipped my hat and said, "Howdy ma'am." I had to say something to break the awkward tension.