• Facebook
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • Get new posts sent to your inbox!
      Enter your email address below:

  • Thursday, July 7, 2011

    Pleasant Pond Mountain

    A cool breeze just isn't the same as when you climb a mountain to get to it. I'm very happy with my decision to do this. Since I boarded the train, I have not had a moment of regret. Even when I was on Moxie Bald last night in a thunderstorm. The sky was bright and blue on the way up. The storm clouds were hiding on the other side. The lightning began to strike as soon as I was on top of the bald. Exactly where you don't want to be when thunder cracks above your head.

    I ran below treeline and the downpour came down so hard it turned the trail to a stream in minutes. I sloshed through one and three quarter miles of mud and water to the next shelter, while singing the Pearl Jam song, Driftin':

    Drifting, drifting, drifting away.
    I got myself a mansion, then I gave it away.
    It's not the world that's heavy, just the things that you save.
    And I'm drifting, drifting away.

    Drifting, drifting, drifting along.
    I rid myself of worries, and the worries were gone.
    I only run when I want to and I sleep like a dog.
    I'm just drifting, drifting along.

    The suitcoats say, 'There is money to be made.'
    They get so damn excited, nothing gets in their way
    My road it may be lonely just because it's not paved.
    It's good for drifting, drifting away.

    Drifting, drifting, drifting, along.
    I feel like going back there, but never for long.
    I sometimes wonder if they know that I'm gone.
    I'm just drifting, drifting along.