• Facebook
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • Get new posts sent to your inbox!
      Enter your email address below:

  • Friday, January 2, 2015

    Peñiscola Old Town and Castle

    That castle on the highest hill in Peñiscola, Spain is Castillo de Peñiscola, built by the Knights Templar around the start of the 14th century, give or take a few years. It looked interesting, so I needed to see if I could get closer.

    To be honest, I didn't read much about the history of this place, so I don't have a lot to say about it. I just wanted to walk around and take pictures. 

    Once home to Papa Luna, aka Pope Benedict XIII from 1415 to 1423. Actually Antipope Benedict XIII since he is not recognized by the Vatican as a legitimately elected Pope. I'll be honest. I just read that on Wikipedia.

    I do know this is the Portal de Sant Pere (Saint Peter's Gate), because a sign told me so, but I'll always remember it as the moment right before I stepped in dog shit.


    You ever have those days on a vacation where you just don't want to spend your time gathering all the information about a place and just want to walk alongside your bike, look at things, and maybe take a picture of a duck or two?

    Hah! Greenhead is drinking water!

    You might be asking yourself, "Another door picture? What's with this guy and doors?" I wish I had an answer for you. Hey, I can see my reflection in the glass!

    Wow, this post is really going off the rails. I hope you like pictures.

    This is a display window outside a shop. The expression on my face was a lot like these figurines while I walked around here.


    This is the town of Peñiscola. Stop snickering. It's pronounced peˈniskola. You're so immature.
    There are times when I want to learn about the history of the place that I'm standing and then there are times when I just want to turn my brain off and enjoy the blue water and the warm sun on my shoulders.

    This was definitely one of the latter days, and Spain is really great for that. 

    Next stop, somewhere south of here where I hope to accidentally find something else interesting to look at, and hopefully have a better blog post for you.