• Facebook
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • Get new posts sent to your inbox!
      Enter your email address below:

  • Saturday, December 13, 2014

    Exploring Barcelona


    This owl is perched on top of the Rotulos Roura building at the junction of Ave Diagonal and Passeig de Sant Joan. It was used as an advertisement in the 70s, but became such an iconic site in Barcelona, it was restored about ten years ago.

    Exploring Barcelona on my own was a little intimidating at first, since I don't speak any Spanish. I have had to rely very heavily on, "No habla Espanol," and "¿Hablas inglés?"

    For the most part, I'm not any different in other cities, since I tend to keep to myself anyway. I walked to another Antoni Gaudi building, his masterpiece, the Sagrada Família. 

    Construction of the church began in 1882

    It isn't expected to be completed until 2026, a century after Antoni Gaudi's death.

    I've never seen a more spectacular building. It has so much going on, that I couldn't figure out how to properly take its picture.

    Next I walked to another one of his buildings, the Casa Batlla. When I arrived, I quickly realized that I had already been there with Hilda. I guess I should have paid attention to where we were on the map. Oh well, it's worth a second look.

    I had nowhere to go, so started walking south toward Plaça de Catalunya

     After the gray of England, I'm happy to finally see some color in Barcelona