• Facebook
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • Get new posts sent to your inbox!
      Enter your email address below:

  • Monday, December 1, 2014

    An American Thanksgiving in London

    I have some really great friends. Greg in Indiana, Jana in Washington, and Jaylene in Ohio, all sent me a donation, so they 'd be certain I had a great Thanksgiving dinner. I searched for restaurants all over London that put together a special Thanksgiving menu for Americans in England over the holiday.

    While looking over several Thanksgiving Day menus, I started to realize just how much Thanksgiving isn't about the food. It made me miss family and friends more than I ever have since leaving home three-and-a-half years ago. Since going home wasn't possible, I'd make up for it by having one of the best meals I'd ever eaten. I settled on Gordon Ramsey's gastropub overlooking the River Thames called The Narrow.

    I sat with a view of the Thames with a glass of Pinot Grigio, waiting for this delicious Pumpkin and Cep Mushroom tart to arrive. 

    Next, for the main course, they brought out stuffed turkey with corn bread and chestnuts, roasted yams, brown sugar-glazed carrots, cranberry sauce, and gravy.
    Although I ate alone, it definitely tasted like Thanksgiving. 

    The dessert may not look like much, but this pecan pie with cinnamon mascarpone was quite possibly the best thing I've ever put in my mouth. After my first big bite, I slowed down and nibbled it. I didn't want it to end. Ever. 

    Thank you Greg, Jana, and Jaylene for helping me forget about my budget for one day and enjoy one of the best tasting meals I've ever had. But more importantly, for forcing me to reflect on what is most important in my life: You, and all my other friends and family out there, who I miss now more than ever. In these three-and-a-half years I've learned that the best way to discover what you want out of life, is to leave everything you have. Obtaining that understanding of yourself is invaluable.
    On Thanksgiving night, with the money I had left over, I bought a few things at the grocery store to take back to my hostel, an entire roast chicken, a few sides, and a small apple pie, to celebrate another time-honored American Thanksgiving Tradition, eating myself into a food coma.Thank you all so much!