• Facebook
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • Get new posts sent to your inbox!
      Enter your email address below:

  • Thursday, August 28, 2014

    Newry Canal Way

    This is the first United Kingdom flag I saw after crossing the border. 
    In Newry, I was happy to see Newry Canal Way, a footpath that would give me 20 miles of walking without oncoming traffic bearing down on me on Ireland's shoulder-less roads. 

    One of the most devastating and traumatic moments of my childhood was when Atreyu's white horse, Artax, gets stuck in the Swamp of Sadness and dies in the movie, The Neverending Story. I thought I was over it, but this horse brought back some painful memories.

    I wanted to steal him, name him Artax, and ride across Ireland yelling things like, "I can't get beyond the boundaries of Fantasia!" or "I'm here to find the Southern Oracle!" 
    to confused farmers and passing motorists. As I made my way to the top of the fence with my horse burglaring tools, I stopped. I need to let Artax go. He's not coming back. I can't cope with that pain again. I just can't. 

    I don't know what this church is called, but it looked very Europey or maybe Russiany. Anyway, it didn't look Americany, so I stopped for a photo.
     
    You know, if you look at this while squinting it looks sort of like a giant tortoise head. Oh man, now i'm thinking of The Neverending Story again. You have to try, Artax! You have to care!

    My backpack isn't really that huge and that isn't an arrow sticking out of my chest

    Sun setting over the Newry Canal Way. This was an incredibly simple and peaceful day.

    I hoped to find a hidden place to camp that night. As you can see, I failed.