• Facebook
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • Get new posts sent to your inbox!
      Enter your email address below:

  • Sunday, July 6, 2014

    My Route Across Ireland

    The first half of my route across Ireland begins by hitchhiking coast to coast, from Dublin to Dursey Island. I'll hike back to Dublin by combining the trails Beara Way, Kerry Way, Duhallow Way, Avondhu Way, East Munster Way, South Leinster Way, and Wicklow Way. This section's total length is about 385 miles and will take about 3 weeks to complete.

    The northern route includes a 115-mile road walk from Dublin to Northern Ireland where I'll get on the eastern section of the International Appalachian Trail along the northern coast to Larne where I'll take a ferry to Troon, Scotland. Total length including road walk, about 270 miles and will take about 2 weeks to complete.

    This route will take me along mountain paths, forest and coastal trails, quiet country roads, old coach roads, unpaved roads, old miners' tracks, through Irish villages, along rivers and upland lakes, across green rolling hills, steep-sided glacial valleys, past ruins, and ancient burial sites. I'll spend my nights stealth camping and asking farmers for permission to sleep on their land, and hopefully occasionally being invited indoors to meet the people of Ireland.

    I'm still working on my route across Scotland. More on that later. If you have suggestions or comments please let me know.