• Facebook
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • Get new posts sent to your inbox!
      Enter your email address below:

  • Thursday, October 17, 2013

    Upward Mobility

    Which direction do I want to take my career in Information Technology? My boss just had to ask. I know it's usually better to tell the truth, but I don't think he would like that answer very much.

    The truth was in a phrase I had been repeating in my head all day, but I couldn't say that. I had to make something else up, and soon, before the silence became awkward. Think, think, think.

    I'm sure to him and most people it's a straightforward question, but for me it was like a girlfriend you're not really in love with asking, "where is this relationship going?"

    I went with a calculated lie. Sometimes it's better to tell a lie, because that phrase that had been repeating in my head all day was, I can't wait to be homeless again.

    That time will come soon enough, but for a few more months, I'm settled. I am going about my workaday routine, stowing away every extra dollar to fund the next adventure. An adventure that is growing.

    If you've been reading this blog for a while, you may know that Red and I are hiking the Pacific Crest Trail next year, but there have been some changes in the itinerary. We are now going southbound from Canada to Mexico, starting in June. Why this change in direction? We decided we're not going to stop at the Mexican border. 

    The thing is, I desperately want to hike the PCT, but I know I can do it now. Before I hiked the Appalachian Trail I had no idea if I could even make it out of Maine. When I walked out of my door with all of my possessions slung over my shoulder, I couldn't comprehend what the next few months on the AT would be like. True adventure, for me, is about heading into the unknown.

    So, our route has become much much bigger. I don't even know if I'll be able to complete it. In fact, I don't believe anyone actually has. How can you know what you can do if you don't set your goals higher than what seems possible? There are many unknowns on this trip, many new skills to learn, muchas frases en espaƱol to memorize, and many new dangers to prepare for. In other words, a true adventure.