• Facebook
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • Get new posts sent to your inbox!
      Enter your email address below:

  • Thursday, December 15, 2011

    The View From Clingmans Dome

    It's chilly at 6,643 feet this time of year, to say the least. Strong freezing winds, and feeling symptoms of a cold coming on, kept me from staying long to enjoy the view. I was sure I caught what the others have, but I'm feeling much better now. We left the Smokies yesterday and soon after the weather became instantly better, like we passed back through the wardrobe from the land of Narnia.The snow and ice are gone and today was warm enough to hike in shorts again.

    I'm going to miss waking up to these views. The six months I've spent out here have seemed like years. That's what happens when you don't stand still long enough for your sorroundings to become ordinary. I can barely remember what it's like to wake up in the same place every morning.