• Facebook
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • Get new posts sent to your inbox!
      Enter your email address below:

  • Sunday, December 4, 2011

    The Dog

    We seem to have picked up another member of our group. Two hunting dogs with tracking collars followed us around yesterday. The other one seemed to be following a scent and moved out ahead of us barking and howling down the trail. The other stayed with us and slept in our shelter last night. He's a bit hyperactive and I had to share a summer sausage with him, but I kind of like having him around. We'll be in town today and will try to contact the owners. Otherwise, we have a dog I guess.

    UPDATE: We got into Hot Springs, NC last night. We got to a local diner and tied the dog to a post outside. We started referring to him as "Muttly" even though I'm sure he's a specific well-bred bear hunting dog. I called the number on his collar and talked to the owner. A couple minutes later, the owner put me on hold because another call came through. It was a man outside the diner that knew it was a bear hunting dog, knew we were just thru-hikers, and thought we were trying to keep him ourselves. We all grew attached to ol' Muttly. I know at least Red and I were sad to see him go. Oh well, it wouldn't have been easy taking a dog on a hike through the Smokies anyway. Muttly is at home and hopefully putting some meat back on those bones.