• Facebook
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • Get new posts sent to your inbox!
      Enter your email address below:

  • Friday, October 14, 2011

    Halfway to Springer

    It was dusk before I left the Pine Grove General Store. I talked to the woman behind the counter for an hour about the history of the area. I was still determined to pass the halfway point tonight at mile 1090.5, so I put on my headlamp and continued south.

    The forest was full of nocturnal wildlife. They were too far from my light to see what they were, but I knew they were there because reflective glowing eyes were staring at me. At once as many as six or seven pairs of eyes were watching me hike down the trail. It was a bit creepy, I never figured out what they were. Next time, and there will be a next time since I hike most evenings after the sun sets, I will try to remember to take a photo with my flash.

    I thought I would feel a sense of acomplishment after reaching the halfway point, but instead I felt sad that it was half over. I'm not sure how I'll ever be able to go back to a normal life, or if I ever will. I don't think this adventure will end at Springer Mountain.