• Facebook
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • Get new posts sent to your inbox!
      Enter your email address below:

  • Sunday, August 21, 2011

    Cloudland Farm

    We heard this farm had a store that sold soda, and even though we knew they had been closed for two hours, we thought we'd try our luck. Our good luck hasn't changed. We ended up with soda, ice cream, and a free night's stay in this barn. We slept on the floor in a room that used to be their old farm store.

    The hospitality and generosity of people on this trip has been so great that it is inspiring. Thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail is like a socially acceptable homelessness. I think the only real difference between us thru-hikers and the actual homeless is that we have a goal. I wonder if my luck would run out if I wasn't carrying this backpack and if I didn't tell people I was thru-hiking the AT. Maybe I'll test that out someday.