• Facebook
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • Get new posts sent to your inbox!
      Enter your email address below:

  • Tuesday, June 21, 2011

    On the Rails



    I love the trains. I love seeing the country go by. I've seen the country from roads plenty of times, but it doesn't compare. On the train, the view is not an endless stretch of concrete, license plates, and exhaust pipes.

    I see forests and lakes. I see people on boats lazily staring at bobbers on their fishing lines. I don't see a single Cracker Barrel or strip mall. I see backyard swimming pools and BBQ grills. There are baseball diamonds and people strolling through parks.

    From the rails, it's not a country of Texaco stations, road rage, and billboards, it's the America that I love. I'm happy I've taken this time to see it before I hit the trail.

    I'll be passing through Providence in a couple of minutes. Boston isn't that far now.